You Can Trust
The College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO) is a self regulated professional body which operates under the Regulated Health Professions Act and the Massage Therapy Act.
The main purpose of the CMTO is to protect the public. This is accomplished by,
1. Establishing standards of practice and policies and procedures that all Registered Massage Therapists (R.M.T.s) and students must adhere.
2. Working with the Ministry of Colleges and Universities and the massage therapy schools to establish and enhance the curriculum for training massage therapy students.
3. Administering independent regulatory examinations for graduates of the massage therapy schools wishing to become Registered Massage Therapists.
4. Establishing and maintaining qualification standards that new and existing R.M.T.s must possess.
5. Overseeing and administering the ongoing Professional Development Programs that R.M.T.s must participate in.
6. Monitoring R.M.T.s and investigating and addressing all complaints of professional misconduct reported to the CMTO.
For additional information on the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario you can visit their website at http://www.cmto.com/
Registered Massage Therapists
To become a R.M.T. a candidate must,
1. Have successfully completed a Massage Therapy program from a recognized school that has a curriculum of at least 2200 hours in length which meets and / or exceeds the CMTO’s expectations.
2. Reside and practice within Ontario and speak one of our official languages.
3. Not have a history of professional misconduct
4. Not have a criminal record.
5. Pass the two CMTO qualifying exams ·
The written MCQ Exam ensures a competent level of knowledge about the human body and massage therapy.
The practical OSCE evaluates each Candidate's skills as a therapist thus ensuring the public's safety.
The Registered Massage Therapists Association of Ontario (RMTAO)
The RMTAO is the organization comprised of and run by R.M.T.s that advocates on behalf of the R.M.T.s in Ontario. For Additional Information on the RMTAO you may visit their website at http://www.rmtao.com/